Casas Grandes Ramos Polychrome Red Ware
Ramos Polychrome represents the pinnacle of achievement in Casas Grandes ceramics.
These vessels have well painted, carefully executed designs, balancing red and black solid and linear elements. The effect of the designs is variable often consisting of intricate combinations of bold and precisely executed geometric shapes. There are holes at the top of this jar on opposite sides. These were used for leather straps to hold the jar off the ground. This vessel indicates it was used to hold water from the leaching on the lower section.
The Casas Grandes (or Chihuahua) culture evolved between AD 1150 -1450 along the river valleys of northern Mexico, extending northward into extreme southern New Mexico and Arizona. It has always been the best known of the prehistoric cultures of northwest Mexico. The cultural center was the town of Paquimé, also known as Casas Grandes, located along the Rio Casas Grandes. The developmental boom of Casas Grandes culture did not occur until after about 1300.
The people of Casas Grandes seem to have been more closely affiliated with the Mesoamerican peoples to the south than the Mogollon or Hohokam to the north. Platform mounds and ballcourts for ritual activities are characteristic features of Central American cultures at this time. Family groups lived along the river drainages and developed extensive irrigation systems. The town of Paquimé was a major trading center, through which such luxury items as shells, copper, macaws and pottery made their way into Arizona and New Mexico from Central America.
Early Casas Grandes sites consist of groups of shallow pit-houses arranged around a larger community house. The plaza grouping became more prevalent and probably housed lineages, groups of people with common ancestors. Ultimately, a form of poured adobe walls was developed.
Condition: Very good considering the age with no breaks or repairs.
Provenance: Purchased by my mother from the Museum of Science and History of Fort Worth in 1971 and maintained in the family gallery; authenticated by Walter Knox of Scottsdale Auctions and Appraisals.